Just In...

Friday, March 30, 2012

18-Year-Old Ukranian Girl Who Posted A Video Describing How 3 Men Gang-Raped Her Dies

The poor Ukrainian teen who was gang-raped, dumped in a ditch and set on fire has died days after she posted a tragic online video revealing her ordeal.

Oksana Makar bravely told from her hospital bed how she was raped, strangled and burned by three men in a savage attack which stripped off 55 per cent of her skin.

Her harrowing hospital video, filmed by her mother, emerged after medics had been forced to amputate one of her arms and both her feet in a battle to keep her alive.

But after a two-week fight for life, health officials in Donetsk said Oksana, 18, died today of severe burns and damage to her lungs.

The rape attack on Oksana shocked Ukraine with its cruelty, and also caused nationwide protests against corruption after police initially released two of the suspects who had powerful connections in the region.

In the 1:19 minute video clip which emerged earlier this month, Oksana looks distraught as her mother, Tetyana Surovitska, urges her to describe her horrific ordeal by saying 'a couple of words to Ukraine'.

She starts to describe the attack, but then breaks off looking visibly upset and says she can't.

The fire stripped off 55 per cent of her skin and surgeons had to amputate one of her arms and both her feet as they battled to keep her alive - her bandaged shoulder can be seen on her right side.

When questioned as to what punishment her attackers should receive after the March 9 attack, the teen replies their testicles should be cut off and fed to dogs.

Two of the suspects were Maxim Prisyjnikov, 23, the son of the regional administrator, and Artyon Pogosyan, 21, the son of the regional prosecutor, according to the Hurriyet Daily News.

When her mother asks her how she will survive, the blonde-headed young woman says: 'How I will live, I will live. That's all.'

Her mother has been criticised for posting the video online with many users suggesting it was insensitive to her daughter asking her to recount her harrowing experience publicly when 'she is clearly distraught and in pain.'

Miss Makar starts to describe the attack, but then breaks off looking visibly upset and says she can't.

Ms Surovitska has already been accused of spending fundraising money for her daughter's care on herself, as well as charging reporters for interviews.

'Look at me. Do I look like a rich woman?' she said in an interview with a Ukrainian website, Gazeta.ua.

The shocking case sparked mass protests across Ukraine and naked campaigners led protests over the sloppy nature of the police investigation and the perceived leniency with which the suspects have been treated.

Some Members of Parliament have called for Ukraine to bring in the death penalty for the accused, with one even suggesting the alleged rapists be castrated.

The 18-year-old claims she was invited by Prisyjnikov and Pogosyan to their friend Yevgeniy Krasnoshek's apartment, where she was allegedly raped.

They tried to strangle her to death before wrapping her in a sheet, dumping her in a pit at a construction site and setting her alight, it was alleged in the Kyiv Post.

Miss Makar was found barely alive the following day by a man who heard her moaning. After undergoing surgery, she was finally able to recount her ordeal to police.

She regained consciousness on Friday, but doctors induced a coma and moved her from a hospital in Mykolayiv to a burn treatment center in Donetsk.

In an interview with Gazeta.ua after the attack, she said: 'I could not feel my body. At first, I was screaming for help.

'But there was nobody there, I began to pray. I thought I had died. I remember it all as if in a fog.'

The three suspects were arrested, but two of them were released later that day due to lack of evidence, according to the Mykolayiv prosecutor's office.

Prosecutors say they did not question Miss Makar because she was not conscious despite her mother insisting she was able to speak.

But anger erupted across the country when a chief police officer confirmed two of the suspects were sons of former government officials, one of whom apparently appeared in a YouTube video calmly describing the attack.

Women's rights group Femen staged a topless protest in front of the general prosecutors office in the capital, Kyiv, chanting 'Death to the sadists!' and 'Execute the b****s!'

1 comment:

  1. This is a dastardly act. I plead with the President of Ukraine to step into this matter and never allow the suspects to go scot free because of the positions or offices their fathers occupy rather, it should spur him to full action and alow justice to take its place. Also, to forestal pervertion of justice by the fathers of those young rapists and murderers, their fathers should be stipped of their positions and offices with immediate effect so that justice can actually take its cause.
    May the soul of Miss Makar rest In PEACE.
    Prince A.


Shop Online From The Comfort Of Your Home Or Office By Clicking On This Banner

Welcome To Obehi Okoawo's Blog...We Love To Hear From You In The Comment Box Above, Thanks