Just In...

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Exposed: How Car-Wash Boys Steals And Sells Customers Cars

When his regular auto mechanic requested to take his car, a Mercedes GL 450 Sports Utility Vehicle, to a carwash in his neighbourhood, Francis Ikechukwu had no reason to suspect that something was amiss.

There was no indication that the carwash, which is situated in Ajao Estate, Lagos, was not  safe. But when it was time to retrieve his vehicle from the facility, Ikechukwu made a shocking discovery.

CRIME DIGEST investigations show that Ikechukwu had, indeed, on March 9, 2012, given the mechanic permission to take the SUV for repairs.

Ikechukwu said, "My mechanic finished with my car on March 13 and took my car to the carwash at Ajao Estate. A few hours later, I returned to take possession of my car, only to be told that one of the attendants had driven the car away.

"I made efforts to reach the attendant, whose name is Prince Godspower, after getting his telephone number from his colleague. I pleaded with him to return my car and he kept saying that he was coming.

"After some time, his phone was no longer reachable. At this time, I went to the Ajao Estate Police Station to make a report."

Unknown to Ikechukwu and others living in the neighbourhood, the carwash served as a cover for a group of thieves who dealt in stolen cars.

CRIME DIGEST learnt that the owners of the carwash – Samuel Onyedikachi and Godspower – were allegedly using it as an instrument for stealing their customer's cars and transferring them to their partners in crime.

While Ikechukwu and his cousin appealed desperately to Godspower to return the car, the latter had already arranged with other members of the gang to dispose of it.

Police investigation of the matter finally led to the arrest of Onyedikachi and Godspower. In no time, other suspects were linked with the theft of the SUV.

Describing the circumstances that led to the arrests, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Umar Manko, said, "A case of stealing and conspiracy was transferred to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Ikeja, from Ajao Estate Police Division. The prime suspect in the case, Onyedikachi, confessed that Godspower drove the Mercedes GL 450 to an unknown destination.

"In a bid to apprehend Godspower, Onyedikachi led a team of Special Anti Robbery Squad operatives to arrest a certain Habib at his Honda hideout in Ajao Estate, who we believed knew Godspower's whereabouts.   

"Habib led the police to a certain Abdullahi Mohammed, who in turn led the police to a Yakubu Kasali, who in turn led the police to a certain Shina at Liverpool Road in Apapa. All of them are members of the same gang.

"Shina was able to lead the police to Godspower's hideout at Liverpool Road. At this time, Godspower was no longer in possession of the stolen vehicle, but he said a certain Mohammed Tahiru, another member of the gang, would know the location of the car.

"It was Tahiru that finally led the police to recover the stolen Mercedes where it was parked at a warehouse in Kirikiri, Apapa."

Onyedikachi was the first suspect to be arrested in connection with the stolen car. His arrest and subsequent confession led to the arrest of seven more suspects, including Godspower, before the car was eventually recovered from its new place.

But Onyedikachi claimed that Godspower planned the theft without his knowledge. He said, "It was Godspower who suggested that we sell Francis' car. He said it would fetch us a lot of money, but I wasn't convinced. I was scared of the operation. That was why I refused to go with Godspower when he drove the car away; instead, I stayed back at the carwash."

Explaining his role in the theft, Godspower said,  "I got to know Onyedikachi when we both applied for a job as drivers in the same company. Although we were unsuccessful in the interview, we remained friends and kept in touch.

"Later, he told me that he had worked for two years at a carwash and suggested that we start a carwash of our own. Since I had never worked at a carwash before, I didn't know what it entailed.

"Onyedikachi said we needed an open space to run our business. We went round Ajao Estate in search of a suitable place until we found one, contacted its owner and rented it.

"Not long after we opened shop, Onyedikachi told me that he had a friend who had expressed interest in our business and had offered his help in getting a buyer for any car we wanted to dispose of. Initially when he said this, I didn't pay attention to him. But when our landlord began to trouble us for his rent, I told Onyedikachi to inform his friend Habib that we had a car for sale.

"Habib immediately said I should bring the car over to him in Apapa.  However, before I could get the car to Apapa, I kept getting calls from its owner Ikechukwu, his cousin and my relatives. They kept urging me to return the car, that the police were after me.

"When I communicated this new development to Habib, he suggested that I drive the car to the toll gate, where they would get another buyer. Before I could get to the toll gate, the car stopped at Egbeda; the fuel tank was empty. By this time, I was scared and wanted nothing to do with the theft, but Habib called someone who met me up at Egbeda, gave me N15,000 to hide in a hotel, while he took over the car. That was the last I knew of the car until the police arrested me."

PUNCH

1 comment:

  1. You have such beautiful products, I've featured them a few times.

    Car Cleaning

    ReplyDelete

Shop Online From The Comfort Of Your Home Or Office By Clicking On This Banner

Welcome To Obehi Okoawo's Blog...We Love To Hear From You In The Comment Box Above, Thanks