Just In...

Thursday, March 8, 2012

How A 38-Year-Old Pregnant Woman Was Raped In A Farm

Detectives in Oyo State are currently investigating the allegation by a 38-year-old pregnant woman, Mrs. Halira Adegoke, that she was raped in a farm, by one of her neighbours, one Francis Etenikang, 32. The incident occurred at Abule Adisa area of the state.

According to the victim, Etenikang had demanded some water from her and after drinking, the suspect grabbed, wrestled her to the ground, stripped and raped her. She explained that all efforts to free herself from the grip of the randy man or get assistance from people, proved abortive.

"I sought for help but none came, as the suspect had his way and escaped on his motorcycle," she alleged. The case was reported to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) but the officers couldn't handle it properly, leading to the escape of the suspect. But aggrieved members of Abule Adisa community later reported the matter at the Iwerele Police Station, Oke-Ogun.

Still recalling the sad event, which traumatised her for weeks, she said: "I went to the farm with my husband and he left me in the hut. Suddenly, Francis came to beg for some water and after drinking, he barricaded the entrance to the hut and held me. When he wrestled me to the ground, he tore my pant and clothes.
I told him I was five months pregnant but he ignored and raped me. I started shouting and crying, calling my husband, Baba Iseyin! Baba Iseyin!"

"But before my husband could come, he had sped off on his motorcycle. When he came, he saw me half naked, and rushed me to the hospital for treatment. Thank God I didn't lose the pregnancy. We reported the matter to the NSCDC but the officers didn't handle the case very well. A community leader in Abule Adisa later reported the matter to the police," she said. One of the community leaders, Alhaji Rasheed Badejo, condemned the act, describing the suspect as a beast.

He said: "It sounded ridiculous and unbelievable when we heard the news. We had to report the matter to the police, leading to the arrest of Etenikang. The community wants justice to be done." The victim's husband, Mr. Afonja Adegoke, confirmed the incident and said the suspect was one of his neighbours.
"We live together in this village. My wife and I came to the farm and she prepared a meal for me, which I ate and went to work, before I heard her, shouting. I saw my wife on the ground, half naked. He tore her clothes, including pant. I was mad and started searching for Etenikang but I found out that he had sped off on his motorcycle," he added.

The suspect, who is being interrogated at State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), also admitted being the victim's neighbour. He, however, denied the allegation. Etenikang said: "I was thirsty and requested water from Halira. She gave it to me and after drinking, I went away on my bike, that was all. I was later invited by the NSCDC. The officers discontinued the case, and it was reported to the police, leading to my arrest."

It was alleged that I raped Halira, who was five months pregnant, but I didn't touch her. I have my own four children in Cross River State. I don't know what she is talking about." The Command's Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Femi Okanlawon, said the victim was actually raped. Okanlawon described the incident as unfortunate. The Commissioner of Police, Mr. Moses Onireti, said the suspect would appear in court at the conclusion of investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Online From The Comfort Of Your Home Or Office By Clicking On This Banner

Welcome To Obehi Okoawo's Blog...We Love To Hear From You In The Comment Box Above, Thanks