Just In...

Monday, May 28, 2012

Parents Of Quadruplets Cries Out: 'We Can’t Pay Hospital Bills'

A couple, Samuel and  Joy Chukwukaelo, who had quadruplets last Thursday at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, has said their immediate challenge is how to pay the babies’ hospital bills and take care of their immediate needs.
The couple, who have two girls before the birth of the quadruplets, told our correspondent on Sunday that they could not raise fund for the bill.
Joy, a teacher at Second ECWA Nursery and Primary School, Amilegbe, Ilorin, said the babies -two boys and two girls- were delivered without complications.
She described the night before the delivery of the babies as the toughest day during the pregnancy, saying she could not sleep throughout the night.
Joy said, “This one is special.  It is multi-pregnancy. I cannot compare this with the others. We did not take any special medication.  It was just a normal relation with my husband.

“I know the birth of these babies is supposed to be a bundle of joy but because of economic situation, I sometimes wonder how we will cope. My husband is just managing while I also depend on a meagre salary as a teacher in a private school.”
Some of the workers in the hospital said Joy was always moody and warned that this could affect her health.
 Chukwukaeolo, 37, who sells electronic spare parts in Ilorin, said he was shocked when the babies arrived.
He said Joy had an ultrasound scan about six months ago, which revealed that she was carrying quadruplets.
Chukwukaeolo, a native of Oba in Idenmili Local Government of Anambra State, said he became worried after seeing the scan.
He said, “I am highly confused. With the situation of things, I don’t think I can cope with the financial demands of taking care of the babies.
“We had two girls before. We only attempted to go for the third one and see whether we can get a boy.
“When I first got to the hospital, I was very happy but when the financial implication dawned on me, I did not know where to start.
“Before the babies were delivered, they gave us a condition.  They said their state will determine the bill we will pay. For now, I do not know when the babies will be discharged. They said when they are to be discharged; they will give me the bill.
 “I really need help. When the babies were delivered, people were saying that government would assist the family, given the number of the babies.  I appeal to the government to assist us.”
The Chief Medical Director, UITH, Prof. AbdulWaheed Olatinwo, said the quadruplets were in stable condition.  He stated that because of the poor financial state of the parents, the hospital had been treating the babies without collecting money from them.
Olatinwo, who said he could not for now determine the bill, also appealed to governments, companies, organisations and individuals to give financial support to the family.
He said, “The society can assist them. The basic fact is that the family is not financially okay and may not be able to pay the bill. 
“Presently, the hospital is treating the children but we are also appealing to governments and some individuals to come to their aid. The babies are doing very well.  It is quite difficult to say what the bill will be now but the babies are quite stable.”

1 comment:

  1. God u re wonderful ooo,i pray dat God wil provide every single dat dose babies wil need.I am currently pregnant & i pray dat God shud also bless me wit a twins cos i so much luv dem.

    ReplyDelete

Shop Online From The Comfort Of Your Home Or Office By Clicking On This Banner

Welcome To Obehi Okoawo's Blog...We Love To Hear From You In The Comment Box Above, Thanks