Just In...

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

20-Year-Old Girl Held In Detention For 4-Years Over Mobile Phone Theft Regains Freedom

                                                    Blessing Effiong in court with a Prison guard, and a lawyer

 The case of Blessing Effiong, a 20-year-old inmate awaiting trial at the female section of Kirikiri Prisons, Lagos, perhaps typifies the injustice suffered by the poor in the Nigerian society. 
After almost four years in Kirikiri prisons for being in possession of a stolen phone, Blessing Effiong has finally regained her freedom. The 20 year old girl today July 4th pled guilty to section 430 (1) of the criminal code of Lagos state 2003. In lay man's language - being in possession of something suspected of being stolen or fraudulently obtained; an offense that carries 6 months imprisonment. The court today sentenced her to six months imprisonment but having served almost four years already, she was released and allowed to go.

Credit: Linda Ikeji

1 comment:

  1. Greetings I am so happy I found your web site, I really found you by mistake, while
    I was searching on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say many thanks
    for a incredible post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it
    all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your
    RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the great work.
    Here is my web-site :: click here

    ReplyDelete

Shop Online From The Comfort Of Your Home Or Office By Clicking On This Banner

Welcome To Obehi Okoawo's Blog...We Love To Hear From You In The Comment Box Above, Thanks