Just In...

Friday, July 1, 2011

Yemi Smith Drops Law For Music!

SOFT-SPEAKING, with the mien of a harmless boy from next door, Yemi Smith does not exactly cast the image of a man involved in the rumble and tumble turf of Nigerian music industry. He also speaks Queen's English. But the Ogun state born act, a Law graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University, (OAU), Ile Ife, Osun state is on his sophomore musical release, and he runs his own music label, Rock Base Entertainment. His second release contains two singles, Master on the Dance Floor (featuring Jahbless and Teemh) and Without My Money.

Already, the video of Master on the Dance Floor is on air in television stations across the country.

The song is rendered in an creative blend of languages, English, Yoruba and Pidgin respectively. The artiste said he was inspired to create the song by what American music star, Usher Raymond, said about Nigerian during a visit.

Yemi Smith said: "I realised that most of the songs that we produce in this country, although we are trying to go global, are too westernised. I noticed that when some American entertainers come to Nigeria and they are asked questions about Nigerian music, they would say the sound is just the same with what they have in America. That really touched me particularly was when Usher came to Nigeria, he made a statement that Nigeria music sounds like American music."

This motivated the young man to do something different. According to him, "the song (his new singles) reflect the culture of Nigeria. I decided to come out with a single that is devoid of any American influence. A song that will move people, that can set fire on the dance floor. That is why I did something that is really indigenous. That is what inspired Master on the Dance Floor."

As long ago as 2006 Yemi Smith had released his first recording on Obino Music label. His other number, Without My Money, deals a cajole shot on the ladies. But

with a differing slant that could make it taste fresh. "When everyone is writing love songs, they are talking about making money and spending it with ladies, taking them to resort. I don't have any problem with that, I decided to write a love song in reverse. It is completely out of the normal context that we know love songs to be. What I am simply saying is if I don't have this money, will you still love me?"

He said working with the duo of Jahbless and Teemah was a remarkable experience. "Jahbless is a professional. He delivers well. So also is Teemah. It has been wonderful working with them and the responses has been really amazing," said Yemi Smith.

He disclosed how he came across Jahbless. "The first time I heard him was in a song he did with 9ice at Africa Shrine and I loved it. I could feel the street vibe in the song when it was played. The way people responded to it was outstanding. And from that day, we became friends."

The lawyer who seems to have given it all up for a full-time performing music career said his new singles are excerpts from an up-coming full album, My Diary II (Reloaded). The album's thrust is the realities of life as the songs dwell on things that regularly happen in the society.

"They (the songs) are also my personal experiences. When I got the vision to go into music, the first thing I got was to write about my experience. I resolved that whatever I am going through should be reflected in my music. And that makes the songs real. It is when people hear real music that's when they relate with you. This particular album talks a lot of my experiences and I have noticed that a lot of songs these days dwell on the street. The street is a nice place to be (but) it should be a transition place. I want a lot of people on the street to dream high and (push) up their game. Even in my video it is reflected."

Yemi Smith who had his secondary school education, at Lagos State Modern College said his passion for the street is borne out of the fact that he once lived on the street. "I am crossbreed. I grew up in a nice neighbourhood and at the same time I also grew up on the street. My father moved from where we were residing and moved to Ketu, it was like a ghetto. I think I have a taste of both that is why I decided to do something that will motivate people on the street to dream big."

Quizzed further on how he settled for music against law, Yemi Smith who released his first single in 2004 said: "My drive for music started way back, from my secondary school. Then in school music was one thing that got the girls interested in you. I was in JSS Three when I wrote my first song. That's how I started and listening to the likes of Jackson Five, Ray Charles and a lot of other musicians that influenced me to go into music. While in school, in Obafemi Awolowo University, entertainment was peak there. I got to organise a lot of shows. And I did a lot of music."

Yemi Smith who has produced several artistes said despite having a musical studio, he faced lots of challenges "I am also into real estate law. I have a music studio, Rock Base Music studio. I have produced a lot of fast-rising artistes.

When I left school I went into music full time, when the challenges came I had to go into real estate to support myself and I built my studio. The other challenges I faced was being misunderstood. From the background that I was coming from, it was like: 'why do you want to do music?' A lot of people back then criticised me. Now they are my biggest fans."

In the near future, Yemi Smith hopes to hit it really big, winning awards "I like what Don Jazzy and D'Banj are doing, I respect them, in the near future, I want to surpass them," he prophesied

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Online From The Comfort Of Your Home Or Office By Clicking On This Banner

Welcome To Obehi Okoawo's Blog...We Love To Hear From You In The Comment Box Above, Thanks