Just In...

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Book Series: "Before I Write A Book' (Part 2) ... By Basketmouth

This is the second part of the very inspiring 'Before I Write a Book' series written by Basketmouth. See the Part 1 HERE
Have fun reading!
As I pay respect to those great men that changed my life, the seemingly little gestures that shaped me and have made  me who I am... I recall another long evening...Year 2000, Fame pre-award concert.  Dele Olukoju and Wale Oluwaleimu were the stage/project managers. I had met Wale before then and he had suggested I come perform in my bid to build a name. 
I went there with a friend of mine,we had spent the last kobo on us transporting ourselves and getting food to eat as the event didn't start early enough. Continue...My performance was done @ about midnight. It was a great outing for me. As it was time  to leave,I met with the show organisers hoping I'd be paid for my service or get a little change for transport. Unfortunately, communication had gone wrong somehow as they thought I was doing the performance for free.  
It dawned on me at that moment, that I was in trouble.
My friend and I then decided to just hang around as the concert was still on and our last hope was that we might get a free ride.  
By 2am, the concert was still banging in full swing and I was totally exhausted. While moving around I met Six Foot Plus and Terry D Rapman...now, I was a big fan of their work and so we got talking. It so happened that they loved my performance that evening so we hit it off immediately. 
After some minutes of small talk, I swallowed my ego and pride and brought myself to ask Six Foot Plus for transport money, he didn't have much on him but he split what he had and  gave me N60 which was more than enough to cover our bus fare. 
We happily bounced out from the concert, confident. We approached the main road and as God will have it,there was a bus going our way.  In 30mins we  were in Yaba, walking to Railway Compound-Ebute Meta where I was staying. 
By 4am I lay in my little corner, the end of another successful day in my struggle for relevance, I was  happy at my chance to perform.
Exhausted by my ordeal but most importantly, I was grateful for that rapper who shared all he had on him with me, my new friend and saving grace, Six foot Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Online From The Comfort Of Your Home Or Office By Clicking On This Banner

Welcome To Obehi Okoawo's Blog...We Love To Hear From You In The Comment Box Above, Thanks